Sunday, January 11, 2009

Psalm 22–prophesy concerning the crucifixion of Jesus Christ



Psalm 22 is a fascinating picture (and messianic prophesy) that foretells the events that come to fruition during the crucifixion of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. The early church declared this Psalm as messianic.

Beyond poetic prophesy, Psalm 22:1 serves as a Trinitarian proof. According to Yoel Natan, a Trinitarian Proof is a text that "suggests or speaks of the deity of the Messiah." The Trinitarian evidence is Christ’s fourth word on the cross – a fulfillment of Psalms 22:1 -- when He cries out in Aramaic, Eloi (the Father), Eloi (the Spirit), lama sabachthani?"; that is, "My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?" (Matthew 27:45-46). Why would Christ say “My God” twice if to only call out to God the Father? Clearly, He was calling out to both God the Father and Spirit as he suffered alone. This is also a clear departure from the Trisagion (“Thrice Holy”) liturgical formula sung by the angels. “Holy, Holy, Holy is Yahveh of hosts.” Isaiah 06:03 has three mentions of “holy” while the name, Yahveh, is mentioned once. The three-in-one aspect of Trisagions suggests that God is the Trinity. We also sing a hymn in our churches, “Holy, Holy, Holy. "

OT PROPHESY

NT FULFILLMENT

1. My God (the Father), My God (the Spirit), why did You forsake Me (God, the Son)? Why are You so far from helping me, as I roar out?

"And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?" that is, "My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?""

Matthew 27:46

 

His fourth word on the Cross

8. "He put His (God, the Son) confidence in the LORD. -- Let Him rescue Him and save Him, seeing He delights in Him!"

He trusts in God. Let God rescue Him now if he wants Him, for he said, 'I am the Son of God.

Matthew 27:43

15. My (the Son) strength is dried up like a piece of broken pottery, My (the Son) tongue sticks to My (the Son) jaws. You (the Father) have brought Me (the Son) down to the dust of death.

Later, knowing that all was now completed, and so that the Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, "I am thirsty."

John 19:28

 

His fifth word on the Cross

16. Dogs (gentiles) gather around Me (the Son), a gang of villains surrounds Me. They have pierced My (the Son) hands and feet.

They Crucified Jesus Christ

 

Matthew 27: 35, John 19:18

18. They divide My (the Son) clothes among themselves and throw lots for My (the Son) garment.

"Let's not tear it (the seamless undergarment)," they said to one another. "Let's decide by lot who will get it." This happened that the scripture might be fulfilled which said, "They divided my garments among them and cast lots for my clothing." So this is what the soldiers did.

John 19:24

31. They will come and tell a people still to be born about His righteousness and what He (the Son) has done!

When he had received the drink, Jesus said, "It is finished."

John 19:30

 

His Sixth word on the cross

Note: Other messianic prophesies found within Psalm 22 include 22:5 (Romans 5:5), 22:6-7 (Matthew 27:39; Mark 15:29; Luke 23:35, Galatians 3:13), and 22:22 (Hebrew 2:12,17).

3 comments:

  1. Nice resource.

    I submit my post on an Old Testament example:

    “And I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and supplication. They will look on me, the one they have pierced, and they will mourn for him as one mourns for an only child, and grieve bitterly for him as one grieves for a firstborn son. - Zechariah 12:10

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, and also some scientific examples where 3 = 1 concepts are accepted without a blink:

    The Trinity: Examples in Real Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott Thanks for your comment. Your Examples in real life blog is very good.

    ReplyDelete